Baby Bella mushrooms are one of the many types of edible mushrooms. They are also known as cremini mushrooms and baby portobello mushrooms.
Baby Bellas are a popular diet food because they are low in calories yet rich in nutrients, but can you eat baby Bella mushroom stems?
Yes, you can eat baby Bella mushroom stems! In fact, all parts of baby Bella mushroom are edible, but you might want to toss out the stems as they are quite fibrous. You can also scope out the gills as they can discolor your dish.
Baby Bella Mushrooms Nutrition Facts
Mushrooms can be classified as a vegetable, though they are typically classified as fungi. The USDA recommends that an adult should consume between 2.5 and 3 cups of vegetables per day, so incorporating mushrooms into your diet is a great way to meet this requirement.
A 3-ounce serving of baby Bella mushrooms provides the following nutrients:
- 20 calories
- 3 grams of protein
- 0 grams of fat
- 3 grams of carbohydrates
- 1 gram of fib
These mushrooms also contain potassium, iron, and vitamin C. Their low fat and carb content with a moderate amount of protein means they can be incorporated into many diet types. Baby Bella mushrooms are also rich in B vitamins and vitamin D.
Mushrooms are a central ingredient in vegan recipes because of their protein and vitamin d content. Mushrooms also have a unique umami flavor that allows them to be used as fish and meat substitutes.
However, mushrooms contain lower protein compared to meat. So, if you follow a vegan diet, you should not rely exclusively on mushrooms for protein; you can serve them alongside other protein sources like soy and legumes.
How To Cook Baby Bella Mushrooms
Roasting is a commonly used cooking method for different vegetables. It is less messy and a healthy alternative compared to frying, though it can be time-consuming.
A quick way to achieve the roasted flavor on your mushrooms without having to wait too long is by using your oven’s broiler function.
Place your mushrooms and vegetables of choice into an oven-safe dish as well as oil, sauce, seasonings, and spices of choice.
Here is an easy recipe on how to roast baby Bella mushrooms:
- Combine the following ingredients; asparagus, mushrooms, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, lemon zest, and black pepper in a large bowl and mix to combine.
- Place the mixture in the refrigerator for one to two hours to marinate.
- Transfer the vegetables onto a nonstick baking sheet.
- With the broiler turned on a high setting, cook the mushroom and vegetable mixture for two to three minutes or until they turn a light brown color.
Using the broiler to roast mushrooms has a healthy advantage as it requires less fat to cook. This is especially great for those following a low-fat diet.
If you intend to add the mushrooms to a stir-fry or noodle dish, sautéing is the best-suited cooking method. Sautéing is a quick and easy cooking method as all you need do is add the vegetables to a nonstick pan, skillet, or wok with some oil.
Here’s an easy recipe you can follow to sauté mushrooms; You will need the fungi and a ½ tablespoon of olive oil.
- Place a frying pan over medium-high heat and add the oil.
- When the oil heats up, toss in the mushrooms and move them around in the pan to coat before allowing them to sauté for approximately five to seven minutes or until the mushrooms are cooked through.
- Once sautéed, you can serve the baby Bellas on their own as a side dish or incorporate them in another recipe like adding the sautéed mushrooms to a shepherd’s pie or pot pie recipe.