Are Gills Of Button Mushroom Edible?

Can You Eat Button Mushrooms Raw

Agaricus bisporus, also known as button mushroom, is one of the most commonly grown mushrooms worldwide. Button mushrooms are relatively inexpensive, and when prepared right, it adds the perfect touch to any dish.

They have a firm and meaty texture which enables them to hold their shape in a recipe and are great tasting.

But are all parts of the mushroom consumable? Are gills of button mushroom edible? Yes, the grills of button mushrooms are edible.

And all parts of the button mushroom are edible, but you mi want to scoop the gills out as they tend to hold onto dirt and substrate.

Can You Eat Button Mushrooms Raw?

Although button mushrooms provide lots of beneficial nutrients when consumed, eating them raw may cause more harm than good! Button mushrooms contain B vitamins, protein, selenium, potassium, and other important vitamins and minerals.

Button mushrooms also contain vitamin D, and the content can be drastically increased if the mushrooms are exposed to UV light while growing.

Button mushrooms, alongside their multiple nutritional benefits, can become bad for you if not consumed the right way.

Agaricus bisporus, like many other edible mushrooms, contain hydrazine, a group of carcinogenic chemicals, and a few other poisonous or irritating compounds. 

These chemicals, however, occur in small amounts, so eating a salad with some raw mushrooms on it won’t necessarily kill you, but when consumed frequently, the chemical builds up and can cause serious health challenges.

When the mushrooms are cooked, however, the compounds are greatly reduced, and the chitinous cell walls of a mushroom also become easier to digest.

You may love to consume your mushrooms raw, but they really should be cooked before eating.

Not only does it reduce or eliminate toxic compounds, but the heat also helps to break down the mushroom cell walls, which enables your body to absorb more of the healthy nutrients that fungi have to offer.

How To Cook Button Mushroom

Are Gills Of Button Mushroom Edible

Button mushrooms are very easy to cook; they hold their shape in a recipe than certain wild mushrooms and are very flavorful. Here’s how to cook button mushrooms.

To cook button mushrooms, you need to have them handy in the first place. Pick up some mushrooms from the grocery store, and opt for young mushrooms with firm and unopened caps with no signs of bruising or sliminess.

When you have your mushrooms, you will need to clean them. This you can do by giving them a quick rinse or wipe them with a damp cloth.

Avoid leaving the mushrooms in water for too long to prevent them from becoming mushy. After cleaning, make sure the mushrooms are completely dry before cooking, so they crisp up better.

You can decide to store the button mushrooms after cleaning, and they will last up to a week in your refrigerator, which is longer than many other mushrooms. To store button mushrooms, place them in a paper bag rather than plastic to make them last even longer.

You can add button mushrooms to almost any recipe. You can add them to soups, stews, and stir fry. They can also be used as a flavorful topping for meat, fish, poultry, or pizza.

Button mushrooms can be marinated, skewered, and grilled as a healthy substitute for barbecue. Your imagination is the limit when it comes to cooking with button mushrooms.

The easiest way to cook button mushrooms is by sautéing them. Chop them up and sauté with a little oil with a high smoke point till you achieve delicious little flavor bombs which can be added to any recipe.

Conclusion | Are Gills Of Button Mushroom Edible?

Like I mentioned earlier, button mushroom gills are 100% edible; however, they can make a dish unsightly in some cases.

But if you don’t want to eat the grills, you can remove them using a paring knife to trim out the stem, then use the edge of a teaspoon to scrape off the gills.

Recommended Articles:

Scroll to Top