If you’re like most people, most of your knowledge about beef tenderloin came from seeing it on a menu and having to order it that way.
But what do you know about it? How much does a whole beef tenderloin weigh? What’s the best way to cook one?
A whole beef tenderloin weighs between 4 to 5 pounds. It varies in size, but on average; it’s about 2 1/2 feet long and 4 inches in diameter in the center. Beef tenderloin is usually big enough to feed 12 to 16 people, depending on how you trim it.
In this article, we’ll answer all your questions about beef tenderloin and more.
Let’s get started!
Table of Contents
- What Is Beef Tenderloin?
- What Is The Best Way To Cook Tenderloin?
- 1. Grilled
- 2. Pan-Sear
- 3. Roast
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Why Is The Tenderloin So Expensive?
- Is Tenderloin Same As Filet Mignon?
- Is Tenderloin a Good Cut Of Meat?
- What Do You Serve With Beef Tenderloin?
- Conclusion: How Much Does A Whole Beef Tenderloin Weigh?
What Is Beef Tenderloin?
Tenderloin is one of the most popular cuts of meat, but what exactly is it? Tenderloin is a cut of beef that lies beneath the ribs. It’s also called a filet and is considered the most tender cut of meat.
Because it doesn’t take very long to cook, you should pay close attention to your tenderloin while it cooks to make sure you don’t overcook it.
Some people think that filet mignon comes from a different part of the cow, but all filet mignon is tenderloin cut into medallions or cubes.
So now that you know where tenderloin comes from, how can you use it in your meal? There are many ways to prepare and serve tenderloin.
Because of its mild flavor and low-fat content, other ingredients are well-suited to be combined with tenderloin in dishes like salads and sandwiches.
It’s also an excellent choice for grilling!
What Is The Best Way To Cook Tenderloin?
You’ve heard that tenderloin is one of the best cuts of steak, but how do you prepare it to reach its full potential? Let’s break it down a few ways.
The grill is a fast cook on high heat. This will give you a nice charred crust and leave the inside medium-rare.
Similar to the grill, this is quick and high heat. However, it can be cooked more evenly and controlled more precisely since it’s in a pan. It also allows you to make a delicious pan sauce with butter and herbs.
This technique is better suited for larger pieces of meat than just a tenderloin.
However, if you cut your tenderloin into medallions, you can sear them and then roast them in the oven until they are cooked to your liking.
See Also: Pork Tenderloin Vs Pork Loin
Frequently Asked Questions
Why Is The Tenderloin So Expensive?
The tenderloin is the most expensive cut of beef in the world. Here’s why:
1. It’s Hard To Get: The tenderloin comes from between the ribs and the sirloin, so you have to do more work to get at it.
For a butcher to get this part of the cow, they have to carve it off carefully, avoiding any silver skin that can be found on the meat. This takes time and effort, which you’re paying for when you buy tenderloin.
2. It’s Tender: The tenderloin is generally pretty soft and easy to chew, making it desirable for those who want a no-fuss meal with extra flavor. You can pay a little extra for tenderness, but remember that you could also just cook your meat differently!
3. Low Supply And High Demand: This is probably the most significant factor in why tenderloin is so expensive: There’s not much of it on a single cow, and people want it more than other cuts because it tastes great and has a reputation as a luxurious dish to serve or order when you go out to eat.
Is Tenderloin Same As Filet Mignon?
You may have heard the terms’ tenderloin’ and ‘filet mignon’ used interchangeably, but they are not synonymous. One thing to note is that filet mignon comes from the tenderloin of beef (which is a muscle that runs along the spine of cattle).
Because it is not a weight-bearing muscle, it does not get as much exercise as other muscles, so it is very tender. When you order filet mignon, you might think you’re just ordering a cut of beef from the tenderloin. But you’re getting more than that.
The steak you order will be shaped into a cylinder by trimming off the fat and then cutting across the grain. This process can take a lot of time and care, so you should expect to pay more for this cut than for a regular steak.
Is Tenderloin a Good Cut Of Meat?
Is tenderloin a good cut of meat? Yes! Tenderloin is a good cut of meat because it offers a great combination of tenderness, flavor, and versatility. The word “tender” is right in the name, so you already know the first part.
Tenderloins are also very lean cuts of meat with a mild flavor profile that carries seasoning well. And finally, tenderloins are incredibly versatile. They can be grilled, roasted, broiled, or stir-fried.
Because they’re so lean, they can be prepared quickly or slowly — you’re not limited by factors like fat content or how much time you have to cook the meat. Tenderloins offer such a great package of qualities that you really can’t go wrong if you include them in your meal plans for the week.
What Do You Serve With Beef Tenderloin?
Because it’s so lean and flavorful, it pairs well with various side dishes. Here are some of our favorite options for serving beef tenderloin:
- Marinate it in a mixture of soy sauce, honey, garlic powder, and pepper for at least two hours before cooking
- Season it with a classic salt/pepper mixture, and then drizzle olive oil over the top
- Season it with a little bit of salt and pepper and rub some minced garlic into the top of the meat (this one is great if you’re planning to grill instead of cook)
- Parmesan Potatoes
- Roasted Carrots
- Balsamic Asparagus
See Also: Different Types of Pork Cuts
Conclusion: How Much Does A Whole Beef Tenderloin Weigh?
Overall, the answer is simple: one whole beef tenderloin will come in at around four to six pounds. This is a good amount of meat for six people if it’s served alongside plenty of other food.
If you’re having this for more than an average meal, you’ll be happy to know that one tenderloin is enough for sixteen hearty eaters.
It’s worth planning if you have a massive party on your hands, but these stats give you the resources to prepare what you need when you need it.