This article may contain affiliate links and if you make a purchase after clicking on a link, we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Is tomato puree not the exact thing as tomato paste? No, it is not. Tomato puree is a lot lighter in texture than tomato paste, and usually, it comes without any spices added to them.
Knowing how to make tomato puree from tomato paste is technically a conversion method since they are both made by cooking, blending, and straining tomatoes.
The catch is that tomato paste goes through more cooking time than tomato puree. You can make tomato puree from tomato paste by adding a little water to it and stirring in a saucepan.
Difference Between Tomato Puree And Tomato Paste
The most significant and most obvious difference between Tomato puree and tomato paste is their consistency in texture.
Tomato paste has a more thickened, more concentrated texture than Tomato paste. The skins and seeds are removed while making Tomato paste.
Another difference between the two thick liquids is in the way they are made. Tomato puree is made by lightly cooking tomatoes and puréeing to get a liquid form.
While Tomato puree is made by cooking tomatoes for a longer time and straining the liquid product to remove seeds and skins. After that, the solution is cooked again to reduce the moisture and achieve its thickened form.
Tomato Puree also has a milder and more subtle taste than Tomato paste.
How To Make Tomato Puree From Tomato Paste
Of course, you can convert your Tomato puree into Tomato paste since they are both made from tomatoes. Before making Tomato puree from Tomato paste, make sure the paste is free of additives or spices.
Things you’ll need:
- A saucepan
- A glass measuring cup
- A whisk or cooking spoon and
Steps on how to make tomato puree from tomato paste:
- Transfer your Tomato paste into a glass measuring cup
- Add water to the cup to fill the 1 cup line.
- Transfer your Tomato paste and water into the saucepan and place on the stove
- Stir or whisk the mixture together in the saucepan as they heat up. Make sure all the lumpiness of Tomato paste is not there anymore. Add tiny drops of water as necessary until you have a smooth and less concentrated liquid.
What Can I Use If I Don’t Have Tomato Puree?
If you do not have Tomato puree, you can use another concentration made of Tomato. Some of these substitutes include:
- Tomato Paste: Tomato paste is basically a more cooked and more concentrated version of Tomato puree
- Tomato Sauce: Tomato sauce is also a milder, less cooked version of Tomato paste
- Fresh Tomatoes: You can use Fresh tomatoes as a substitute for Tomato puree. But first, you need to blend and cook it.
- Canned Tomatoes: You can get these at the grocery store, and they are affordable
- Pizza Sauce: Pizza sauce is a mixture of Tomato puree and other ingredients. It can be used as a Tomato puree substitute.
- Ketchup: Ketchup is usually a concentrated mixture of Tomato, pepper, and some other additives. It can be used as an alternative for Tomato puree.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Tomato Puree The Same As Tomato Paste?
No, Tomato puree is not the same as Tomato paste. Tomato paste is a more concentrated and thickened liquid. When you pour Tomato puree in a saucepan, watch how it spread, unlike Tomato paste that would stick to an area.
Tomato paste goes through more cooking than Tomato puree, and it has a more intense flavor.
Which Is Better, Tomato Paste Or Tomato Puree?
Due to the longer cooking time than Tomato puree, Tomato paste has a more intense and savorier flavor. It tastes almost like dried Tomatoes.
On the other hand, Tomato puree has a milder, fresh, and sweeter flavor. It has a close taste to fresh Tomatoes.
When Can I Use Tomato Puree Instead Of Tomato Paste?
The only way you can use Tomato puree instead of Tomato paste or vice versa is by altering it. Tomato paste is usually used for making thicken sauces, soups, stews, etc.
In contrast, Tomato puree is used for meals that prefer less concentrated liquids and a thinner tomato base. Some of the condiments that prefer Tomato puree include pizza sauce, hot sauce, salsa, etc.
Does Tomato Paste And Tomato Puree Taste The Same?
Due to their processing methods, Tomato paste and Tomato puree does not taste the same. They are essentially made from the same thing, Tomatoes. But the methods used for them differ.
Tomato paste has a more intense taste, and it almost tastes like Dried tomatoes. While Tomato puree has a more subtle flavor. You can substitute one for another by altering their concentration and thickness.
How can I make Tomato puree from Tomato paste? You can do this by adding little water to the Tomato paste and whisking until and the lumpiness is gone and you have a more diluted solution.
Make sure you do not add too much water to the solution. On the other hand, Tomato paste can be made from Tomato puree by leaving it under heat and stirring until it becomes a thicker paste.
You can make the perfect Tomato puree from Tomato paste by following the instructions given above.