If you are interested in how to make tomato puree from canned tomatoes, this post will serve as a guideline.
You can make Tomato puree from canned Tomato by altering the texture and intensity of the flavor of the canned Tomatoes.
Fresh tomatoes that have been grounded, processed and canned are referred to as canned Tomatoes. Of course, canned tomatoes go through different processes before it achieves its final form. You should never forget to use fresh tomatoes when making your canned Tomatoes.
Read on to find out how!
Difference Between Canned Tomatoes And Tomato Puree
The significant difference between Tomato puree and the canned Tomatoes found at the grocery store is the concentration level.
There are different types of canned Tomatoes. Tomato puree is a type of canned tomatoes. Other types of canned Tomatoes include:
- Whole Tomatoes
- Crushed Tomatoes
- Tomato Sauce
- Stewed Tomatoes
- Tomato Paste
- Tomato Sauce
In this post, we will refer to canned Tomatoes as the widely used “Canned Tomato Paste” with a thick texture. This canned Tomato is different from Tomato puree, which has a mild and sweet taste.
This is because of the difference in production methods despite having the exact essential ingredient.
Canned tomatoes have a strong and savory taste, and it is usually used for making stews, soups, and sauce. On the other hand, the puree is mild and can be used as a thin tomato base for pizza, hot sauce, salsa, etc.
Now, let’s quickly look at how to make tomato puree from canned tomatoes.
How To Make Tomato Puree From Canned Tomatoes
When making tomato puree from canned Tomato, all you have to do is alter the intensity in taste and concentration of the canned Tomato.
Things you will need:
- A saucepan
- A whisk or Stir spoon
- A glass measuring cup
Steps to Follow:
- Transfer the canned tomatoes into the glass measuring cup
- Add just enough water to fill the 1 cup line
- Carefully transfer the content in the glass measuring cup into your saucepan and place it over the stove to heat.
- Stir or whisk this mixture until the paste becomes less lumpy
- Add drops of water if the paste still has its thick and chunky texture until you’re satisfied with the outcome.
What Do I Use If I Don’t Have Tomato Puree?
Tomato puree is a sweet and delicate ingredient. However, when you do not have Tomato puree, you can use the following substitutes:
- Tomato Sauce: Tomato sauce is also a milder, less cooked version of Tomato paste. Use the same amount of Tomato sauce as a Tomato puree alternative.
- Ketchup: The texture of Ketchup is thicker, and its flavor is more pronounced than that of Tomato puree. Make sure to use it sparingly.
- Fresh Tomatoes: Do not use soil or spotted fresh tomatoes as a substitute for Tomato puree. You should blend and cook the fresh Tomato before use.
- Canned Tomatoes: Canned tomatoes are the most common tomatoes as they can easily be bought at the grocery store. They are also affordable.
- Tomato Paste: Tomato paste is a more concentrated version of Tomato puree, and as such, you should use it sparingly. It also has a more intense flavor.
- Pizza Sauce: Pizza sauce is a mixture of Tomato puree and other ingredients. It can be used as a Tomato puree substitute.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Use Crushed Tomatoes Instead Of Tomato Puree?
Crushed tomatoes are essentially the same as Tomato puree, except that they do not have the smooth texture of Tomato puree.
To use crushed tomatoes as a Tomato puree substitute, make sure to alter their texture. You can do this by blending it.
Can I Make Tomato Puree With Fresh Tomato?
Yes, you make Tomato puree with fresh Tomato. Since Tomato is the main ingredient used in making Tomato puree, it is only standard for you to make it using fresh Tomato.
Things you’ll need include:
- A saucepan
- A glass measuring cup and
- A whisk or cooking spoon
Steps on how to make tomato puree with fresh Tomato
- Wash and cut up the fresh Tomatoes
- Transfer the cut-up Tomatoes into a pot, add water and cook for 15 minutes.
- Stir until you notice the Tomatoes breaking down
- Allow the tomatoes to cool, then run through a blender.
- After blending the Tomatoes, transfer into a bowl
- Strain the Tomatoes using a sieve or remove the seeds and skin
- Your Tomato puree is ready.
Note that if the solution is too watery, you can reheat until you get the desired texture.
How Do I Store Tomato Puree?
You can save your Tomato puree in the refrigerator by transfer the mixture into an airtight container and seal it. Then, you should place the container in your refrigerator. Tomato puree can last about 6-8 days.
Canned Tomatoes come in different forms; stewed, crushed, pureed, etc. However, the standard canned Tomatoes is in a pasty form. This canned Tomato has a more intense and robust taste than the ordinary Tomato Puree.
Hopefully, you’ve learned how to make tomato puree from canned tomatoes? You can make Tomato puree by altering the nature of the canned Tomatoes, from strong flavor to mild flavor.
From intense to sweet and from thick to thin. You can do this by dissolving the paste in water and heating it over the stove.