Making something such as a cracker barrel cornbread recipe might seem like a big deal. But what if I tell you it only takes a couple of inexpensive ingredients that are probably already lying dormant in your pantry and about 30 minutes to start enjoying this recipe?
YES! That’s all you need!
Below I’ll be unveiling the step-by-step guide on how you can make a mouth-watering cracker barrel cornbread for the first time.
It doesn’t matter if you’ve never done it before. All you have to do is follow the instructions one step at a time.
What Is Cracker Barrel Cornbread?
Cracker Barrel cornbread is a delicacy that can be traced down to Native American cuisine. It is a light, golden-brown bread that contains cornmeal.
This cornbread is a country-style delight that constitutes fluffy insides, perfect crumbs, and overall buttery perfection. Whenever I need a quick, not-too-sweet dish, Cracker Barrel is my edge-on place for heavenly and aromatic cornbreads.
You can pair milk and cream with Cracker Barrel cornbread because it can be sweet, more like a dessert. It tastes great in its savory form and goes incredibly well with hot chili.
Cracker Barrel Cornbread Recipe
When prepared incorrectly, your cornbread may turn out dry, thick, or tasteless.
Although one of the most significant pitfalls is not balancing the flavors appropriately, you can ONLY jump and hop past this using the essential ingredients for this dish.
Ingredients You Will Need
- Self-rising flour: a mix of cupboard essentials, including all-purpose flour, baking soda, and salt. Without employing yeast, the bread can rise thanks to this flour. Use 1 1/4 cup.
- Yellow cornmeal: a requirement for this recipe. The secret to making corn muffins’ golden-brown color and their gritty texture is using yellow cornmeal. Use only 3/4 cup of it.
- Sugar: You will need just enough to prefer a touch of sweetness to the savory bread. (2-3 cups)
- Eggs: Another essential requirement; they help the bread rise. (2-3 eggs)
- Butter: This gives a moist texture and rich flavor to the cornbread. Use 1/2 cup of unsalted, melted and cooled butter.
- Buttermilk: Adding this will bring lightness and tenderness to your baked bread. (3/4 cup)
- Honey: It adds additional sweetness to the cornbread without being over-sweet. (2 tablespoons)
How to Make Cracker Barrel Cornbread
After greasing a 12-cup muffin tin, heat the oven to 350 degrees. Combine the cornmeal, sugar, and flour in a sizable basin.
The eggs should be beaten until smooth in a different bowl. Buttermilk and honey can now be added. Continue whisking until everything is well combined. Then, add the buttermilk mixture to the flour. While stirring, take care not to overmix.
Be aware that lumps in the batter are entirely natural. Fill the muffin tray with the batter. Each cup should be 3/4 full of the filling.
Bake the muffins for 18 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit or until the tops are just beginning to turn brown. Take the dish out of the oven, serve it warm, and enjoy!
Tips For Making Cornbread
Making a mouthwatering side dish or dessert, like cornbread, does not require you to be an expert baker. You can, however, obtain the optimum cornmeal texture by following a few pointers:
For fluffier cornbread, think about including one more teaspoon of baking powder. Leave omit the baking powder for a denser result if you want.
Don’t over-mix your mixture to prevent a cornbread that is gummy or crumbly. A loose batter that is almost watery is the ideal consistency. You’ll have a cornbread brick if it’s heavy and thick.
Limit the amount of cornmeal you use. This will result in cornbread that is crumbly and dry. Crumbling in little amounts is typical. A cornbread that is like eating wet sand is not what you want.
Use yellow cornmeal if you prefer a sweeter, cake-like cornbread. A less popular variety, white cornmeal, can also be used. Remember that it has a milder, less assertive flavor than yellow cornmeal.
How to Serve Cracker Barrel Cornbread
This quick bread is a household favorite. Here is what to serve with this golden treat from dark until dawn.
- Breakfast: Toasted cornbread squares with butter and honey on top. It’s a beautiful way to start the day! Make cornmeal French toast out of the dish if you have extra time.
- Dinner or Lunch: Have you got any tasty corn muffins? They go well with anything that includes a sweet and sour sauce, such as baked beans or meaty BBQ ribs.
- Anytime: Cornbread is your friend if you’re in the mood for a snack. I’ve found that the perfect combination is the roasted potatoes and crispy bacon with chili.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Make These Ahead And Freeze Them?
Yes, you can. Let it cool off, pop it in a freezer-safe container and take it out as needed.
Why Does This Cornbread Muffin Recipe Have Sugar?
Sugar is not included in the nutritional information for the muffins at Cracker Barrel. Simply stir in 3 tablespoons of honey or sugar throughout the mixing process if you want your cornbread sweeter.
Can I Substitute Cornmeal With Corn Flour?
YES, they can be interchangeably used. I would advise using cornmeal to ensure a better taste and experience.
Can I Serve With Chili?
You could serve it with chili but make it hot.
How Many Teaspoons Of Sugar Do I Need To Use?
Depends on what taste you need. If you need it very sweet, 2-3cups of sugar, and less if you don’t want it to be too sweet.
Cracker Barrel Cornbread Recipe
Here’s a step-by-step guide on how you can make a mouth-watering cracker barrel cornbread for the first time.
1 1/4 cup of self-rising flour
3/4 cup of yellow cornmeal
2-3 cups of sugar
1/2 cup of unsalted, melted, and cooled butter
3/4 cup of buttermilk
2 tablespoons of honey
- After greasing a 12-cup muffin tin, heat the oven to 350 degrees. Combine the cornmeal, sugar, and flour in a sizable basin.
- The eggs should be beaten until smooth in a different bowl. Buttermilk and honey can now be added. Continue whisking until everything is well combined. Then, add the buttermilk mixture to the flour. While stirring, take care not to overmix.
- Be aware that lumps in the batter are entirely natural. Fill the muffin tray with the batter. Each cup should be 3/4 full of the filling.
- Bake the muffins for 18 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit or until the tops are just beginning to turn brown. Take the dish out of the oven, serve it warm, and enjoy!
Most Americans find cornbread key to enjoying launch better alongside home-prepared foods.
This side dish consists of many essential body nutrients and should do well over the top to keep you active in your day-to-day activities.
That is why my team and I have taken the stress to practically research and finally come up with the best recipe for this dish to make it easier and less stressful for you to prepare.
Thus, do not throw away this golden opportunity!